Wednesday, August 1, 2012

From the Wifey: Greens and Beans


Ok, please prepare yourself for a straight forward, delicious recipe, minus all the crazy dancing and weird side remarks that most people don't get :) Here is a recipe from the wife!

I never thought I'd be in a marriage where I don't do all the cooking. My mom is Italian and cooked 99.99% of the dinners in our household. I remember one time when my mom was recovering from surgery and my dad had to make dinner. He called it "Hawaiian Eggs" and he basically just took a some random ingredients from the fridge, mixed it with eggs, dressed us all in Hawaiian shirts and put on Jimmy Buffet, and tada.... Hawaiian Eggs were born.
But I digress....I got married and found out that my husband loves to cook. He loves looking up new recipes and trying them. That kind of freaks me out....I like to cook what I know. Unfortunately, a lot of what I know includes meat! So I had to figure out some new things to cook...or hand the skillet over to my husband.
This recipe, however, is one that I loved growing up (it was my grandmom's recipe) and it is so simple. Reheats great for the next day's lunch. This is also a great freezer recipe!


Greens and Beans


Ingredients
Olive oil
1-2 cloves of garlic
15 oz can of Hunts tomato sauce
2 15 oz cans of Cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
1 large or 2 small heads of escarole (not curly). (I usually buy this fresh, but Wegman's was out, so I bought it in a bag)
Crushed Red Pepper


Directions:
1. Put oil in 4 quart pot to cover bottom and fry garlic.
2. Add 1 medium can of Hunts tomato sauce and 1 can of water.
3. Wash the cannellini beans and add. Cook for 15 minutes.


4. While the beans are cooking, rinse the escarole well. Boil the escarole in a large pot until tender, and then drain and chop.


5. Add to pot with beans and season with crushed red pepper. (add water if dry)
6. Serve immediately or let cool and freeze!







1 comment:

  1. That is awesome. Welcome aboard wifey. And my weird side remarks are called the sizzle and I am trying my hardest to sell it.

    ReplyDelete