Friday, July 20, 2012

Huevos Rancheros al Fresca





So through today, I have posted three dinner recipes and a post about Phillip Seymour Hoffman that may have been awkward for all of us. Yeah, sorry about that. I am even more remorseful of the picture of him from Boogie Nights. Allow me to now digress into a more comfortable topic, FOOD!

I had a very nice day off of work today and spent a great day with the little tax deductions while my wife was out. It was a very productive day too. I posted on here, made breakfast and lunch, and then umm, nothing. That's right, a whole ton of nothing. It felt nice too. However, while engaged in nothingness, I did happen to stumble across a breakfast that I have made for years, however today I added an ingredient that has fully changed the game. Cucumbers... Who knew?

With the weekend upon us, what goes better on a nice Saturday morning then a nice filling breakfast? Sure it would be awesome if we could pull meals like this every morning, but truth is it's not always feasible. Saturday's however leave us no excuse for a skimpy breakfast. It is the free time on the weekend that allows us to do it up on the meal that often gets ignored or neglected. Dinner may shine Monday through Friday, but Saturday and Sunday breakfast takes center stage. That being said, the next couple of features on here will stroke the ego of all things breakfast. Time to wake up and dish!

Suggested music on Spotify: It's early in the morning so my suggestion is something lite on the ears and easy on the brain. Let's go with Nirvana Unplugged in New York.

Suggested Kitchen Dance: It's early so any dancing you do, PLEASE STRETCH FIRST!!! I don't want e-mails detailing how groin muscles were pulled as a result of dancing too early in the morning. Also taking it easy today on this, simple rump shaking is fine and maybe a few head rolls. (As a side note, I was going to include a video of someone shaking their rump. Boy was that a mistake to search on youtube. Just the thumbnails of the videos that popped up were enough to make me blush. I am committed to keeping this blog family friendly and those videos were borderline x-rated)

Suggested Beverage: Coffee. If you can't remember why your head is currently aching a Bloody Mary is in order. I don't often advocate or encourage people to drink before noon, but sometimes the hair of the dog is what is needed. I will be drinking Wegman's Special Roast Coffee. 

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1/4 cup green peppers diced
1/4 cup and 2 tbs onion diced
1/4 cup roma tomatoes diced
1/4 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
1 tbs Basil chopped
2 tbs. cucumber diced
2 tbs. shredded cheddar cheese
1 flour tortilla toasted and broken into pieces
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp black pepper
1tbs. olive oil

Directions:
1. In a frying pan heat olive oil on medium heat. Place tortilla in toaster oven until it hardens and browns slightly. 
2. Add peppers, black beans and 1/4 cup onions and saute' 5 minutes or until softened. While peppers, beans and onions are cooking, in a bowl combine tomatoes, 2 tbs onion, cucumber, and basil and set aside.
3. Once peppers, beans, and onions are cooked, push to one side of frying pan and add both eggs.  Add chili powder, red pepper flakes, and black pepper and cook the eggs to desired firmness. (I prefer over-hard and slightly burnt). Once flipped, add cheese to the eggs to melt.
4. Pull tortilla out of toaster oven and break into large pieces. 
5. Placed cooked onion, beans, and peppers over tomato mixture. Place eggs over top of onion, bean, and pepper mixture.   
6. Enjoy!!!
I seem to use quite a bit of items from the legume family. They are protein packed and very filling.
The incredible, edible egg. Speggtacular. Eggciting. Eggcellent. I am not eggsaterating, I could go on all day with the egg puns.
You dirty egg. You dirty rotten egg. 
 A very basic salsa recipe with just a bit of cucumber. Surprising how much the cuke changes the whole dynamic. Awesome. 
Three Amigos. I imagine the black pepper is Martin Short's character. 
Three step assembly and finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment