Sunday, July 22, 2012

P. B. and J French Toast / Berry Compote

Wha? Yes, you absolutely read the header correctly. As in Peanut Butter and Jelly French Toast! Changing the breakfast game, again!!!

Not since Zidan Zidain of the French National Football team head-butted Matterazzi of Italy in the World Cup Finals has anything French broke so many faces. Now it is time to break yours! While I am sure this recipe will be popular with those of all ages, I have added the berry compote recipe for the adults, the PB & J recipe is meant for the kids. Feel free to indulge as well.

This recipe is pretty simple and quick so you can treat yourself to a gourmet mid-week breakfast without being too late for work, unless of course you are the type to hit the snooze seven times and then fall asleep in the shower. In that case, you might want to prepare some of the steps the night before. Cock-a-doodle-dish people!!!

Suggested music on Spotify: I let the wife sleep in this morning so I had the kids. They requested everything Veggie Tales. My personal favorite, The Belly Button Song.

* Side note... I am watching the documentary Babies with my wife. In the opening scene there are two babies from the African Bush beating the heck out of each other. That was fully awesome and now my attention is divided all sorts of ways. If there are a ton of typos or if I start some nonsensical blather aside from what is normal for me, please excuse. 


Suggested Kitchen Dance: My daughter is begging me to pretend to be a ballerina, so Ballet? Rudolf Nureyev, eat your stinkin heart out.

Rudolf Nureyev and marmot.
Suggested Beverage: In my opinion there are only 2 beverages that pair with any breakfast: Coffee and fresh squeezed orange juice and breast milk. (Oops, sorry about that. There was this part of the movie, oh, never mind)

Ingredients (French Toast):
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
6 slices wheat bread
3 tbs peanut butter
3 tbs jelly (flavor is up to you. I used strawberry)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs butter

Directions:
1. Using bread, peanut butter, and jelly, make three P. B. and J sandwiches.
2. Heat butter in skillet or in frying pan over medium heat, coating the entire surface with the butter
3. In a bowl, mix egg, milk, cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla.
4. Dip each side of sandwich in the egg mixture, allowing extra egg to drip off of sandwich.
5. Cook sandwich's for between 2-3 minutes or until brown on each side.




Ingredients (Berry Compote)
1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
3/4 cup blueberries
1 tbs honey
1 tbs vanilla extract
1 tbs cinnamon
2 tbs sugar
1 tbs olive oil

Directions:
1. In a frying pan, heat olive oil on medium heat.
2. Add strawberries and blueberries. Cook until softened.
3. Add honey, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
4. Reduce to low heat and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Pour over pancakes, french toast, waffles, or add to your morning oatmeal while still hot. 




I sense some alchemy is about take place in this evil lab...
Hey sweet thang, we should get together some time...


Burn baby burn...

Berry delicious. I will also warn you, if you are prone to cavities or hyperactivity, I do not recommend this topping. 
And to finish the wonderful dish, I broke out the fine china.

Mommy and Daddy's breakfast
Rudy and the dead marmot that lives on his head approves of this breakfast 










No comments:

Post a Comment