Wednesday, July 18, 2012

"These ain't Yo Mama's" Quesadillas


Hello Party people, allow me to greet you with a very hardy, "Whoomp there it is." So to all of you getting ready to make dinner, I have an idea that will make you loudly proclaim to the world, "BOOM SHAKA-LAKA!!!" As I sit here listening to the bottom of the 9th of the Phillies game (they are currently tied, but in danger of losing, so a spontaneous expletive may occur) and eagerly awaiting a strong summer storm heading our way, dinner is in the oven, kids are playing, sister and wife are hanging out, all is right in the world. Struck him out!!! O.k., one more out to get for extra innings.

Also again thanks. Today I checked my blog stats (which I believe to be the equivalent of admiring my own butt in a mirror) and I see that I have hit over a hundred page views. But even cooler than that, apparently I have been viewed in Germany (danke) and this blog is apparently huge in the land down under, although I will be putting no shrimp on any barbie any time soon. So to everyone over the world, my sincerest of thanks!!! Enough sap and sweetness, time to dish it up!

So this quesadilla recipe comes from vegetariantimes.com and I must say, it was an absolute winner, however, it does ask that you roast your own peppers. As great as that sounds and I am sure it enhances the already solid flavors, who really has the time to roast peppers for a complimentary ingredient. I subbed it out with jarred roasted red peppers instead. Also, the hummus is from scratch and I will say that being the main ingredient in the meal, it is worth the scratch. Also, it does not call for tahini and I agree. When making hummus from scratch, tahini may be the most over-rated ingredient in the history of, like, everything. Pretty darn pricey too.
Oh and the Fightin Phils have just taken a 3-1 lead over the Dodgers so LIFE IS GOOD!!!!

Suggested Music on Spotify: Today was definitely a Pearl Jam kind of day, but I was listening to the ball game, so the only dancing I was doing was the...

Suggested Kitchen Dance: The Happy Dance because Michael Schwimmer just struck out a Dodger to force extra innings, which the Phillies have now taken the lead in! You can feel free to bang thy head if you feel the need.

Suggested Beverage:The mint in a refreshing mojito will compliment the lime in this recipe. Also, it is so darned hot outside refreshing is what should be sought after.

Ingredients:

  • ½ cup cilantro leaves
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 15-oz. can, rinsed and drained)
  • 2 Tbs. lime juice
  • 2 Tbs. olive oil
  • 4 7-inch whole-wheat pitas, split crosswise
  • 4 jarred roasted red bell peppers, drained and sliced into strips
  • 1 ½ cups baby spinach leaves
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. To make Hummus: Process cilantro and garlic in food processor until chopped. Add chickpeas, lime juice, oil, and 1/4 cup water; purée 3 minutes, or until creamy.
2. To make Quesadillas: Place 4 pita halves on baking sheet. Spread each with 1/2 cup Hummus. Top with peppers, spinach, and remaining pita halves. Bake 10 minutes, or until crisp. Cut into triangles, and serve.
Salsa Ingredients:
1 roma tomato, chopped
1/4 small white onion chopped
1 tsp. basil
You do not want your fingers to get caught in this. Oh and if you don't have a food processor, a blender works fine. For the youth that may not know, the blender is the machine that helps you make your Jagermeister Slushies.
Kinda looks like a pile of blood worms. And you are very welcome...

Rome wasn't built in a day. These quesadillas were built in about 8 minutes.
Salsa is optional, but highly recommended.

Whether you are in Alaska, Germany, or hanging out with your favorite "sheila" and a wallaby in a pub chugging some Foster's Beer  in Sydney,Australia, enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Jay, I told you that you ought to just pre-roast and can your own peppers, so they'll be ready whenever you need them. Get with the program.

    Your Quesedillas seem pretty awesome. I'll have to try to make them some time.

    ReplyDelete